• is a lifelong resident of the Santa Clarita Valley
• is a graduate of the William S. Hart Union School District
• is a Governing Board Member for the William S. Hart Union School District
• has demonstrated a lifetime commitment to public service
• understood the importance of volunteerism at a young age through girl scouting and service clubs
• received the Principal’s Service Award as a high school student
• is a former teacher, counselor, principal and school district administrator
• is an education consultant
• is a powerful advocate for education
• is a role model for young people in both her professional and personal life
Gloria is currently serving her fourth term as a publicly elected Governing Board Member of the William S. Hart Union High School District. She:
• has served four different times as Board President
• provided the leadership necessary to pass two bond measures that made it possible to build badly needed new schools and modernize older schools
• called for the establishment of a district Diversity Committee to create policies and develop programs to address diversity in our schools
She also served three terms as a member of the Governing Board of the Castaic Union School District, and she is a founding member of the Castaic Town Council.
Gloria has devoted her time and leadership to numerous community organizations, such as:
• Board of Directors, SCV Boys & Girls Club -- She was instrumental in obtaining funding for the new Boys and Girls Club at Sierra Vista Junior High School, a partnership of the Hart District, City of Santa Clarita and SCV Boys and Girls Club.
• Center Board of Directors, SCV Child and Family Center
• Board of Directors, Samuel Dixon Health and Family Centers
• Executive Committee, SCV Leukemia & Lymphoma Society; Past Chair, Light the Night Fundraiser
• Executive Committee, Santa Clarita Valley Anti-Gang Task Force -- Programs include Hero of the Week Student Recognition, sports programs, Teens on Target, Graffiti Removal Program
• Advisory Board Member, YMCA of Santa Clarita Valley
• Board Member, Providence Health and Services, and Medical Affairs Committee
• Board of Directors, Latino Chamber of Commerce
• Steering Committee, SCV Fourth of July Parade Committee, Parade Announcer for past nine years.
• Founding President of the American Cancer Society SCV Unit and SCV Events Founder -- Relay for Life, Daffodil Days
• Member and Past President, Zonta Club of SCV
• Presenter, Valencia Industrial Association, Connecting to Success, Volunteer
• SCV Chamber of Commerce, Hispanic Business Committee
• Volunteer, Michael Hoefflin Foundation for Children’s Cancer, Gala
• College of the Canyons Silver Spur Gala, Planning Committee
• Interim Chair and Volunteer, Measure SA Committee, Hart School District
• Volunteer, Measure V Committee, Hart High School District
• Volunteer, Measure M, College of the Canyons
• Past Board Member, Girl Scouts, Joshua Tree Council
• Volunteer, Volunteers in Support of Teen Offenders, L.A. County Probation Department
• Volunteer, Flying Samaritans, Medical Support
• Past Board Member, Aid to Victims of Domestic Violence (Domestic Violence Center)
• Former Board Member, Castaic School
• Founding Member, Castaic Town Council
• PTA Volunteer
During her career, Gloria has been honored by local, state and federal legislators, and community and educational organizations, for outstanding service to her community and for her volunteerism. Some of these awards include:
• SCV Top 51 Most Influential People selected by the Signal newspaper.
• 2004 Amistad Award for Individual Community Leader of the Year by the SCV Chamber of Commerce Hispanic Business Committee.
• Nominated for 2005 SCV Woman of the Year, and for the Zonta Woman of the Year by the American Cancer Society.
• She was selected Top Educator of the Year by the Hollywood Coordinating Council, Hispanic Teacher of the Year by the Association of Mexican American Educators and was the recipient of a Ford Foundation Fellowship.
Bachelor of Arts Degree, California State University, Northridge
Two Master of Science Degrees
• Public School Administration, Pepperdine University
• Educational Psychology, La Verne University
Master of Governance, California School Boards Association
Gloria has worked for the Los Angeles Unified School District as a school principal and District-level Administrator. She also serves as an Educational Consultant.
She has also taught as an Adjunct Professor at California State University, Los Angeles, Mission College and College of the Canyons.